Proper preparation of lobster is very important. Most lobsters are boiled or steamed. Keep in mind that in winter the shell is tougher, therefore requiring a longer time for cooking, while summer crab is the opposite. If you miss the cooking time, you will end up with hard chewing gum instead of unmatched and tender lobster meat.
Some chefs advise removing the gum from the claws, as this can spoil the taste of the water a bit.
So, steaming lobster/steaming lobster:
- Take a pot in which there will be room for lobster and fill the container with water (2 cm to the top).
- Add salt (preferably sea salt) and spices if desired.
- Bring the water to a rapid boil.
- Lower the lobster into the boiling water (head first).
- Cover with lid and cook.
Calculation of time for Lobster Steaming
Table of calculation of time for Lobster Steam, as we call this method of cooking:
- 450 gr. – 560 gr. – 10 – 12 minutes
- 560 gr. – 900 gr. – 12 – 18 minutes
- 900 gr – 1350 gr. – 18 – 25 minutes
- 1350 gr. – 2700 gr. – 25 – 40 minutes
- 2700 gr. – 3150 gr. – 40 – 60 minutes
- 3600 gr. and more – 7 minutes for every 450 gr.
A fairly quick and easy way to prepare.
1. Pour water into a big pot, add spices (salt, better sea salt, thyme, bay leaves, lemon juice, a couple of strips of lemon or lime peel). Bring to the boil. Remove rubber bands from the claws.
Quickly put them in the boiling water, head down. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Regulate the temperature during boiling so the water does not boil over but comes to a constant boil. The lobster turns red and its tail curls inward.
3. While the lobster is boiling, we heat the butter until it becomes liquid and transparent.
4. We take it off the heat. Sauce or mayonnaise can be served with the cooked lobster.
The table of calculating the time for Boiled Lobster, as we call this method of cooking:
- 450 gr. – 560 gr. – 12 – 15 min.
- 560 gr. – 900 gr. – 15 – 20 minutes
- 900 gr – 1350 gr. – 20 – 25 minutes
- 1350 gr. – 2700 gr. – 25 – 28 minutes
- 2700 gr. – 3150 gr. – 28 – 30 minutes
- 3600 gr. and more – 4 minutes for every 450 gr.
Partially cooked lobster (Parboiling a Lobster)
1. Pour water into a large pot. For spices, the same scheme as for cooking. Bring to a boil. Remove the rubber bands on the claws.
Lower the claws upside down and cook according to the following scheme:
Cooking time lobster for boiling:
- 450 gr. – 3 ½ minutes
- 560 gr. – 4 minutes
- 675 gr – 4 ½ minutes
- 790 gr – 5 minutes
- 900 gr. – 5 ½ minutes
- 1350 gr. – 6 ½ – 7 minutes
This cooking method is more suitable for small-sized lobsters.
Be careful when taking out the lobster when it is hot, let it cool down in an ice bath or at room temperature for later use.
Boiled lobster meat can be used in soups, salads, pasta, various souffle, and of course just eaten with sauce, butter.
The most common mistake is to increase the cooking time of the lobster, in the case of cooking more than 1-2 pieces of lobster.