This Turon (Banana Lumpia) recipe is the perfect appetizer or dessert.
This type of snack is similar to a Chinese-style fried pancake, but it uses sweet plantain bananas or locally known as “Sage on the Saba.”
Essentially, this recipe is a rice wrap filled with a slice of banana, then sprinkled with a tablespoon of brown sugar, curled tightly.
It is then deep-fried in vegetable oil until it is golden brown. The texture is amazing. Here’s how it’s made.
Turon Banana, not overripe bananas. This is because they will be very soft in a stir-fry.
Some varieties of this recipe add a piece of sweetened jackfruit, also called Langka. Langka or jackfruit is a perennial tree.
Its fruit has a very fragrant flavor that when added to the banana makes it more palatable.
This recipe can be made ahead of time, like a day in advance. Store raw Turon in the refrigerator and then take them out just before roasting.
Be sure to fry the Turon in very hot oil. This is the secret to a crispy crust. It is also better to eat this food while still warm.
If you don’t eat Turon after a few hours, its texture becomes soft and elastic. In this case, you can reheat these foods in a toaster oven.
Do not use the microwave, it will make it softer.
This recipe can be made ahead of time, like a day in advance. Keep the raw Turon in the refrigerator and then take them out just before roasting.
- 10 pieces of saba bananas
- ½ cup jackfruit slices
- 15 pieces spring roll wrapper
- Brown sugar enough to cover bananas
- vegetable oil to fill the pan
- Cut peeled banana lengthwise into 3 pieces.
- Dip sliced bananas in brown sugar and set aside.
- Place a spring roll wrapper, then place 1 banana slice, 3 jackfruit slices, and another banana slice on top.
- Start twisting the wrapper halfway through, bend the left and right edges, continue to roll, then secure it at the other end by wetting it with water.
- Heat a wok, place in the oil, and, when the oil is hot enough, fry the turon until it is golden brown.
- Remove from wok, remove excess oil with a paper towel and serve.