A beef dish from the Philippines. This is a light soup made with beef rolls and bone marrow until the collagen and fat dissolve into a clear broth. It usually includes leafy vegetables, corn on the cob, green onions, onions, garlic, ginger, and fish sauce. Potatoes, carrots, or the roots of the Taro plant (which is the tropical equivalent of potatoes) are also added.
It is almost always eaten with rice, soy sauce, and Kalamansi juice (a type of citrus, similar to a lemon). This dish comes from the southern part of Luzon Island, from the provinces of Batangas and Cavite.
The ingredients are Bulalo
- Beef knuckle – about 1 kg,
- marrowbone – 6 pcs,
- Peking cabbage – 250 gr,
- bok choy – 2 pcs,
- hard potatoes – 4 pcs,
- corn on the cob – 2 pcs,
- onions 2 pcs,
- garlic – 4 cloves,
- ginger root – 2-3 cm,
- lime – 2 pcs,
- fish sauce (patis) – 1 tbsp,
- black pepper – 1 tablespoon,
- salt – to taste,
- vegetable oil – for frying,
- soy sauce – for serving.
Recipe – Bulalo
Peel the potatoes and cut them into pieces.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the potatoes for 4 minutes. Place them in a bowl and set them aside.
Detach the stems of the bok choy from the leaves. Cut the stems into small pieces and leave the leaves intact.
In a saucepan, put beef knuckle, brains, finely chopped onion, and garlic. Pour water, bring to a boil and cook on low heat for a few hours until the meat is tender, periodically removing the foam that forms on the surface of the water.
Cut the corn cobs into 3 pieces each. Finely chop the Beijing cabbage and finely chop the white cabbage.
Put corn, potatoes, and black pepper into the saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add Chinese cabbage and grated ginger. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add bok choy stems and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add bok choy leaves and simmer for 1 minute more.
- Season with fish sauce. Remove from heat.
- Squeeze out the lime juice and mix with the soy sauce.
- Serve the bulalo hot with a mixture of soy sauce and lime juice.